Location: Holmfirth, Yorkshire
Contact: Becky Moore
Becky studied Fashion & Textiles at Bretton Hall College and gained a BEd degree from Leeds University in 1982. She taught Design & Technology (Textiles) for over 20 years, in secondary schools before leaving the chalk face to become a free-lance sewing tutor, delivering courses and workshops to sewing enthusiasts in community venues in Holmfirth and Marsden.
Becky has a wealth of experience in sewing, dressmaking and pattern drafting and can competently teach learners of all ages and abilities.
Courses run for 6 weeks and participants may sign up as many times as they like, to get the best possible experience.
Class sizes are small, to maintain a high quality of teaching and learning. Students may make whatever they choose.
Beginners will learn:
- How to use a Janome sewing machine
- Machine patchwork
- Decorative detailing e.g. applique
- Inserting zips
- Using the Janome Overlocker
- How to use a commercial pattern to make clothes, soft furnishings or accessories.
The course is also suitable for those with some sewing experience wishing to expand their skills set and improve their expertise.
This course I suitable for both beginners and improvers as well as those who are self-taught and would like to perfect their skills and achieve a professional looking finish.
The course will cover:
- Using a commercial pattern, from start to finish
- How to choose appropriate fabric and buy the correct amount
- Dressmaking techniques, including seams, zips, buttons & buttonholes, sleeves, collars, binding, piping, hems etc.
- Accurate fitting – the tricks of the trade
- Using the over-locker for finishing seams and edges